Re: [udig-devel] Re: CRS - "Bursa wolf parameters required."

Jody Garnett a écrit :
The EPSG has implemented the code into a SQL for MySQL. With some
modifications to the SQL, could it not be implemented into PostGIS and
become part of the data model. Hence the codes could be looked up in the
DB, rather than maintaining an external file.

Now there has been some progress recently, they have renamed the epsg plugin in preparation for actually starting this work. Bascially Martin found a vounteer to help with the HSQL side of things.

Yes. Richard Didier prepared a HSQL database will all EPSG data, bundled in a JAR file. But there is some aspects of HSQL that make me uncomfortable: all data are specified as SQL scripts bundled in the JAR, with thousands on "INSERT INTO ... VALUES ..." statements, which seems really inefficient to me. But it seems to be the way HSQL work. It is also my understanding that all data are loaded in memory, which is again inefficient (why keep 3000+ CRS in memory when we usually uses only a few of them)? So we have a choice:

1) Either we provide the HSQL plugin anyway as is, with the above-cited
   overhead.

2) Either we search for an other database engine (any idea?)

Direct GeoTools access to the EPSG database is a "great idea" that none
has actually implemented.

It is already implemented and working, since February. It work with MS-Access database, and should work with PostgreSQL too.

Look at plugin/epsg-access for an example connecting to the MS-Access database. This plugin also provides instructions about how to connect to a PostgreSQL database.

    Martin.

Back to the top