From: udig-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:udig-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Paul
Ramsey
Sent: April 20, 2005 4:53 PM
To: User-friendly Desktop Internet GIS
Subject: Re: [udig-devel] Re: CRS - "Bursa wolf parameters required."

Dean,
What you describe is essentially the "use the EPSG database" solution
which has been bandied about geotools for over a year now. It is more of

an implementation effort thing: noone has gone and done it yet. The
expedient solutions have been "good enough".

That said, the EPSG database alone will not actually solve the problem
that gave rise to this thread. Jesse was instantiating a projection from

a .prj file associated with a shape file, and that .prj file did not
include datum transformation information. In order to fix the problem,
at CRS instantiation time the datum name needs to be matched against a
"known" datum somehow, so the transformation information can be added
post facto.

Paul