[udig-devel] questions about uDig 1.0

I've been watching this project for a while, browsing the list and scanning the Milestone reports. It looks very promising. I was going to download and install uDig today for the first time, to give it a spin, but the codehaus site seems to be down.

Together with a group of biologists in Nicaragua, we're putting together a project in "biodiversity informatics". It boils down to managing their biodiversity data, providing tools for analysis, and connecting them to global networks. I'm meeting with them and a likely funding source in three weeks. I'm the IT coordinator for this project. GIS is one component. I have to make a recommendation as to what GIS desktop software and other tools to use. As I see it, the choice will be between asking for ArcView (3.3 or 9) license donations from ESRI, or open source software (uDig, gvSIG, JUMP, QGIS, ...). I like what I see in uDig. So, I have a few questions about 1.0:

- What minimum hardware requirements do you anticipate? I know, that's a fuzzy question and you're not there yet. Can you guesstimate how it will compare with ArcMap 9.0?

- I understand you'll be delivering a French localization. Is there any talk of a Spanish one??

- Are there plans to allow customization/scripting via languages more accessible than Java? Say, Python.

I would like to be able to set up our project with open source software, but not at the expense of usability and ability to easily customize the software.

Thank you! Cheers,

Emilio Mayorga

PS. Hi Paul. We met in Victoria a year ago.

Back to the top