[udig-devel] Re: Trouble installing UDIG 0.3

> >My biggest frustration was that I _still_ have not been able to get
> uDig to work with jai.  I really don't know what my problem is, I
> tried both your suggestions.  But I think the installer should work
> just fine even though I could never get a successful install,
> assuming the user
> >

> This is terrible. We must do something, first david's email about wfs
> and now your install troubles - no wonder we have not gotten much
> feedback.
>
> Chris are youn around for Monday's IRC? If so I would like to IM chat
> you through install process / JAI fun.
Yeah, I'll be on dial up.  We can definitely try to walk through the
process, though I just spent another 45 minutes to no avail.

> Just to check a few things:
> - You are running JRE 1.5 - it is what we tested against so I have to
> ask
Yes, and I've uninstalled and reinstalled it multiple times.

> - You have installed JAI 1.1.2, and ImageIO 1.0.01 RC
Yup.  And this combination is sucky, since all three installers operate
in different ways.  The ImageIO one is especially bad, since you can
only put it on one jdk.  If you try to run it again it assumes you want
to uninstall, and doesn't even exit the pop up asking you if you want
to uninstall.

>  ( in that order (so the RC gets to patch the JRE and JAI)
Yeah, one thing is that I'm downloading the jdk versions.  Which put it
in jdk.../jre/bin and /jre/lib/ext.  But I then set that as the runtime
with regedit.  Downloading all the jre versions right now isn't
possible.  But it also shouldn't be necessary, if I'm a developer I
want uDig running off my jdk jre.

> - you caugh Richards email that he got the RCP download link wrong -
> the
> one on web site is correct.
I'm using the same one I had for uDig-0.2.  Looking more closely it
looks like it's M1 instead of M2.  Would that be the problem?

> eclipse.exe finds the "default" java - should be the same one you
> find
> from the command line.  I am going to hunt down the "please install
> JAI"
> dialog and ask it to display the JRE it was using.
Yeah, that would be a nice thing - I've been using my installer script
to confirm which jre it is using.

> To do the shortcut thing:
> Select eclipse.exe, choose "send to desktop". Find the shortcut that
> was
> made, and right click to bing up the "properties".
> You should pass in some arguments after the executable  in the
> "target"
> field.
I wasn't able to pass arguments.  If I included it inside the double
quotes I got an error, if outside then nothing happens when I click on
it (which is the same behavior I get from the command line).

> Now that I think of it eclipse.exe will also find a JRE located in
> the
> same directory as it (it is what I plan to do with a one-click
> installer). You could copy a JRE you are sure is set up properly into
> "JRE" folder next to the eclipse.exe executable. I know you are on
> dial-up and would like to avoid downlad JRE 5.0 ...
Tried this, didn't work.

Chris