[udig-devel] Trouble installing UDIG 0.3

Hi chris - thanks for the start on an installer.

I will have to check it out on monday.

My biggest frustration was that I _still_ have not been able to get uDig to work with jai.  I really don't know what my problem is, I tried both your suggestions.  But I think the installer should work just fine even though I could never get a successful install, assuming the user
This is terrible. We must do something, first david's email about wfs and now your install troubles - no wonder we have not gotten much feedback.

Chris are youn around for Monday's IRC? If so I would like to IM chat you through install process / JAI fun.

Just to check a few things:
- You are running JRE 1.5 - it is what we tested against so I have to ask
- You have installed JAI 1.1.2, and ImageIO 1.0.01 RC
( in that order (so the RC gets to patch the JRE and JAI)
- you caugh Richards email that he got the RCP download link wrong - the one on web site is correct.

eclipse.exe finds the "default" java - should be the same one you find from the command line. I am going to hunt down the "please install JAI" dialog and ask it to display the JRE it was using.

To do the shortcut thing:
Select eclipse.exe, choose "send to desktop". Find the shortcut that was made, and right click to bing up the "properties". You should pass in some arguments after the executable in the "target" field.

I am going to do an install on my home machine just to tripple check that these installation instructions work.

Jody

Now that I think of it eclipse.exe will also find a JRE located in the same directory as it (it is what I plan to do with a one-click installer). You could copy a JRE you are sure is set up properly into a "JRE" folder next to the eclipse.exe executable. I know you are on dial-up and would like to avoid downlad JRE 5.0 ...

Back to the top