Re: [sumo-user] Calibration of mesoscopic simulation

At edge lengths of 10m you will see strong artefacts from segment discretization (1 vehicle fits into the segment, 2 vehicles (5m+2.5m) do not fit into a segment. I think this is pretty far away from what Eissfeldt had in mind.

- jam density is given by vehicle length and minGap unless (modified by segment discretization as noted)
- critical density cannot be calculated from the tau values. It's a free model parameter (https://sumo.dlr.de/wiki/Simulation/Meso#meso-jam-threshold)
- maximum flow is  1 / (tau_ff + vehLengthAndGap/edgeSpeed). This was changed from the Eissfeldt model to accomodate heterogeneous vehicle lengths.
- backward wave: See the long comments in MESegment::recomputeJamThreshold
- free flow speed depends on the speed distribution of the vehicles as well as density so its not straight forward to compute this analytically.

I'm not quite sure where the value of tau_jj = 1.4 in the sumo default comes from (this pre-dates my work on sumo)
If your calibration on the default segment length of 100m suggests better values, please let me know. For the usage of tau_jj in SUMO, refer again to the comments in recomputeJamThreshold. The model was changed here due to
https://github.com/eclipse/sumo/issues/2244

regards,
Jakob