Re: [ptp-dev] org.eclipse.ptp.rdt.core in org.eclipse.ptp.rdt.sync-feature

Features are just for packaging. It's really the plugin manifests that determine the plugin dependency requirements. I believe the feature dependencies are only used during the build, and possibly when determining the requirements when installing plugins.

On Sep 1, 2011, at 6:58 PM, Orion Poplawski wrote:

> Okay.  Here is another dependency question (I'm afraid I don't understand eclipse deps very well).
>
> org.eclipse.ptp feature has:
>
>   <includes
>         id="org.eclipse.ptp.rdt.remotetools"
>         version="0.0.0"/>
>
> This ends up putting /usr/share/eclipse/dropins/org.eclipse.ptp/features/org.eclipse.ptp.rdt.remotetools_5.0.0.201109011153 into my main ptp package.  It's feature.xml file has:
>
>   <requires>
>      <import plugin="org.eclipse.ptp.rdt.core" version="1.1.0" match="greaterOrEqual"/>
>
> Which to me implies that the main PTP feature requires ptp.rdt.   Seem correct?

Well, it requires ptp.rdt.core . That doesn't mean all of RDT is required however. Only the requisite plugins will be installed if this feature is installed.

> It is also troubling to me that there is dependency information in the feature.xml files and in the MANIFEST.MF files that are not necessarily in sync.
>
> e.g. org.eclipse.ptp.rdt.sync.fortran feature.xml only lists the plugin org.eclipse.ptp.rdt.sync.ui.fortran but that plugin has:
>
> Require-Bundle: org.eclipse.cdt.core,
> org.eclipse.cdt.ui,
> org.eclipse.core.runtime,
> org.eclipse.ui,
> org.eclipse.ui.ide,
> org.eclipse.core.resources,
> org.eclipse.ptp.rdt.sync.core,
> org.eclipse.ptp.rdt.sync.ui,
> org.eclipse.photran.cdtinterface;bundle-version="7.0.0";resolution:=optional
>
> which again means it depends on ptp.rdt.sync (among others)

Correct. The sync.fortran feature adds synchronization support for Fortran projects. It requires the base synchronization support to work.

Greg

Back to the top