[ptp-dev] Possible ETFw issue

This message is about a possible issue with the External Tools Framework (ETFw), and intended mainly for Wyatt...

I am working on some fixes/updates to our PPW plugin(s), and am encountering an issue that I believe is within the ETFw.  Using the latest build (actually, a build from late last week) of Eclipse Helios, CDT, and PTP (with the ETFw projects actually checked out from CVS), I have the following issue...

I first encountered a problem when trying to profile with PPW; the process would hang after the build step.  After digging into the problem by examining/debugging ETFw code, I found the following line in BuilderTool.java (in the org.eclipse.ptp.etfw.internal package), in the initMMBuild() method (line 284):

  binary = buildInfo.getBuildArtifactName();
and saw that the contents of the binary variable was this:

  ${ProjName}

so that it seems the ETFw may be assuming that this will give the literal name of a binary, when in fact it can be a macro (or whatever CDT technically calls these).
After looking into this a bit further, it appears that CDT project wizards, when creating new C projects, are using "{ProjName}", where previous versions appear not to have done this. I observed this by going to C/C++ Build -> Settings -> Build Artifact and seeing that "Artifact name" is set to "{ProjName}" immediately after creating a project via a wizard (in Helios).

Do you think you could take a quick look at this?  I hope I'm not just doing some wrong, but this appears to be something that would break in many cases.

-Max

Back to the top