Re: [ptp-dev] Few questions about fortran in pldt

Hi Georges,
Are you using Photran? I assume so.
Currently the Fortran AST (from Photran) is different from the CDT AST.
Two scenarios for Fortran support in PLDT: (1) finish CDT-compatible AST or (2) do PLDT analysis using Photran AST

1. If the Fortran AST were based on the CDT AST, this would be the simplest.
Jeff Overbey worked with our group last summer to begin this work. Greg's post on Dec 12 points to his report:
I've uploaded a report that was prepared by Jeff Overbey as a result of his internship at IBM this year. The report describes the issues with integrating Photran and the Open Fortran Parser with CDT and gives some detailed guidance on what is required to complete the integration. The link is here: http://wiki.eclipse.org/images/e/e9/Photran-report.pdf

2. PLDT analysis *could* be done with the existing AST that Photran provides. I haven't any bandwidth to pursue this at any length, but a while back I did sit down with Craig Rasmussen and try a few things that proved this is possible. Jeff Overbey also confirmed this last summer and I think wrote a little example to show me. Always hoping that a more CDT-compatible AST would work eventually (see option 1.), I didn't do any other work on this. However, this is entirely feasible if you are interested.
2a. In fact, I found the code i worked on a while back in CVS: under org.eclipse/ptp, under the tools/old folder, the org.eclipse.ptp.pldt.fortran.mpi project is just that.
It is now two years old so will be based on an older CDT, Photran, and PLDT but that shouldn't be too hard to fix.
Furthermore, that comment you found in AnalysisUtil (in your attached email) I believe is pointing to this code.
2b. Probably a better place to really start if this option is interesting to you, would be for us to ask Jeff Overbey what he did last summer in this direction.
He will probably tell me he gave me some code to do this. Hmmm..... I'm looking...

So Georges, if you are interested in getting involved (I hope!) I am happy to help answer questions.
Option 1. is probably the most extensible and provides the most infrastructure for further Fortran/Photran/PTP analysis and interaction, but option 2. may get you up and running faster, but would require more PLDT work. So basically, you could (option 1) work on making the Photran AST more compatible with CDT's (and thus more of PLDT "should" work) or (option 2) do more work to extend PLDT to talk a different AST and use different APIs to 'talk' to Fortran/Photran.

...Beth

Beth Tibbitts (859) 243-4981 (TL 545-4981)
High Productivity Tools / Parallel Tools http://eclipse.org/ptp
IBM T.J.Watson Research Center
Mailing Address: IBM Corp., 745 West New Circle Road, Lexington, KY 40511

Inactive hide details for "Georges Bossert" ---12/16/2008 08:53:25 AM---I’m still working on a new plugin for pldt which will "Georges Bossert" ---12/16/2008 08:53:25 AM---I’m still working on a new plugin for pldt which will offers HMPP supports. The C part is done but how could I work on fortan

          "Georges Bossert" <gbossert@xxxxxxxxx>
          Sent by: ptp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

          12/16/2008 08:52 AM

          Please respond to

<ptp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

cc

Subject

[ptp-dev] Few questions about fortran in pldt

I’m still working on a new plugin for pldt which will offers HMPP supports.
The C part is done but how could I work on fortan files ?

I found in AnalysisUtil this comment :
* Is the given filename a valid file for analysis processing? <br>
* Currently this means, is it a .c or .cpp etc file, or .h or .hpp? <br>
* Don't pollute this with fortran info - currently fortran processing is in
* a completely different action.
public static boolean validForAnalysis(String filename, boolean isCPP) {

But where can I plug, to get fortran AST ?
Thanks.

Georges Bossert
+33 (0)6.03.57.53.88
gbossert@xxxxxxxxx