Re: [ptp-dev] Questions about Resource Manager restructure

Hi Dave,

1) As you point out, the main advantage is to simplify the installation of PTP. The other advantage is to make it easier to support other MPI implementations, and in the future, other types of resource managers.

2) The message traffic is likely to be reduced, since messages are no longer required to create/update every model element. Also, the messages are now arbitrary - you can implement your own protocol that can attempt to be as efficient as you like. For Open MPI 1.3 and later, we're using XML to communicate status change information and it would be nice if we could standardize on this for different MPI implementations.

3) No, the intention is to use the remote abstraction framework to run the submission/control commands remotely (unless local commands are available).

4) If RM implementations continue to use the old APIs then we will continue to maintain them.

Regards,

Greg