[ptp-dev] Questions about PTP, RSE and RDT

I installed Ganymede Eclipse plus CDT 5.0.1, RSE 3.0.0 (core and end user
runtime) and then downloaded PTP and RDT code into my workspace from PTP
HEAD, all on a Windows XP machine. I'm able to create a C project running
Eclipse on my windows machine where the project is located on a pSeries
Linux system. I can't get the compilation to work thru Eclipse, but if I
compile my test program manually, I can then create a PTP run
configuration referencing that project and run my test application thru
PTP. So my PE proxy pretty much works with the current PTP code.

I did have some problems doing this and have the following questions
1) When I created my C project (Executable (XL C/C++)), the last page of
the project wizard asks me for the compiler root path, where it is
pre-filled in with /opt/ibmcmp. I have XLC 9.0 installed in
/opt/ibmcmp/vac/9.0. What do I specify for compiler root path?
2) I can edit .c files on the remote Linux system using the Eclipse
editor. When I save the file, the build fails, I suspect because of the
message 'Invalid project path: Include path not found (\usr\include)'
(note backslashes in pathname). I looked thru the project properties
panels and couldn't find where I specified this so that I could fix it.
3) I can create a PE resource manager using RSE as the remote service
provider, and as I go thru the resource manager wizard, it appears to work
correctly, letting me set the path to my proxy on the remote system.
However, when I try to start the resource manager, I get a popup htat says
'Failed to start resource manager' and the RM icon turns blue and stays
that way. I turned on tracing in the run configuration for my test session
and don't see any obvious messages in the trace output. It looks like it
gets as far as trying to invoke my proxy, but then stops. I have an option
in my proxy where I can put it in a spin loop at startup so I can attach a
debugger to it. I turned that option on so I could try to attach to my
proxy and it appears Eclipse is not getting far enough to invoke my proxy
since I still cannot find the process. The same proxy works fine if I use
RDT as the remote service provider. Any ideas where to start looking? Has
RSE 3.0 broken something in PTP?
4) My program appears in the jobs list, but I don't see any way to either
get the job to show me stdout output or to delete the job from the jobs
list when it completes. My program does write stdio, which I can see if I
set up my test program's run configuration to redirect stdout to a file.
5) When my program runs (2 tasks on 1 node) , I see the icon for the node
I use show up in the machines view, but neither process shows up in the
process info window. What messages generate the data for the process info
window. I need to see if my proxy is generating correct messages as a
first step in figuring this out.

Dave

Back to the top