[ptp-dev] PTFw: two tool XML questions

This is Max from the HCS Lab at the University of Florida, working on integrating our Parallel Performance Wizard (PPW) tool with Eclipse PTP, by way of the Performance Tool Framework (PTFw).

I have a couple of questions about the XML files used with the PTFw.

First, our PPW tool uses compiler wrapper scripts and a "ppwrun" script that are written in Perl (these are executable scripts with a "shebang" line at the top). Directly invoking the "ppwmpicc" script seems to work fine, however based on the following section in the annotated example tool XML file (from the PTFw wiki page)

    <execute>
        <!-- Use this line only if valgrind is a shell script.
                          The plugin can not execute scripts natively -->
        <utility command="bash" group="inbin"/>
        <utility command="valgrind" group="valgrind"/>
    </execute>

and after trying a couple of possibilities, it seems that the following formulation is needed for invoking our "ppwrun" script:

  <execute>
    <utility command="perl" group="perl"/>
    <utility command="ppwrun" group="ppw">
  </execute>

Does this seem right?

Second, I seem to be having trouble with the "defstate" modifier for <togoption ...>; for some reason this doesn't seem to be working as expected. For example, the following tool XML (this is a subset of what I'm working on for PPW) yields the "PPW Program Run" panel having the "Enable tracing" option selected by default.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<toolset.01>
<tool name="PPW">
  <compile replace="true">
    <CC command="ppwmpicc" group="ppw"/>
  </compile>
  <execute>
    <utility command="perl" group="perl"/>
    <utility command="ppwrun" group="ppw">
      <argument value="--output=ppw_eclipse.par"/>
      <optionpane title="PPW Program Run" prependwith=""
          enclosewith="" enclosevalues="" separatewith=" ">
    <togoption label="Enable tracing"
           optname="--trace"
           tooltip="Record full program trace during run"
           defstate="false"/>
        <togoption label="Trace buffer size"
                   optname="--trace-buffer"
tooltip="Set the trace buffer size to the specified number of bytes (most users should not need to change this)"
           defstate="false">
          <optvalue type="text" default=""></optvalue>
    </togoption>
    <togoption label="Collect communication statistics"
           optname="--comm-stats"
           tooltip="Record statistics on (explicit and implicit) communication during program run"
           defstate="false"/>
    <togoption label="Collect per-line communication statistics"
           optname="--line-comm-stats"
tooltip="Record per-line statistics on (explicit and implicit) communication during program run"
           defstate="false"/>
      </optionpane>
    </utility>
  </execute>
  <analyze>
    <utility type="view" command="ppw" group="ppw">
      <argument value="ppw_eclipse.par"/>
    </utility>
  </analyze>
</tool>