Re: [ptp-dev] PTP installation

Vrushali,

First, a caveat. Although, local Windows to remote Linux should work (I have seen it working on Beth's machine), it is not one of the currently supported configurations, so has not been extensively tested.

Second, you should not need RSE unless you specifically require RSE functionality. There is remote functionality that is part of PTP that supports ssh connections to the remote system.

1. Download and install Eclipse 3.3.2 and CDT 4.0.3 on your windows machine.

2. Start Eclipse. From the update manager, create the PTP update site and install the following packages. I'm assuming that you have MPICH2 installed on the Linux box. You don't have to install Open MPI support, but I suspect you'll want to debug eventually.

- Parallel Tools Platform End-User Runtime
- PTP Parallel Language Development Tools (optional, but recommended)
- PTP Remote Tools Enabler
- PTP Remote Tools
- PTP Support for MPICH2
- PTP Support for Open MPI

3. On the Linux machine, download the "Resource manager proxy agents". Untar (or unzip) into your home directory. Run the BUILD command in the org.eclipse.ptp.linux.x86_* directory.

4. Create an MPICH2 resource manager. Choose remote tools as the service provider and create a new location corresponding to your linux machine. Click the browse button and navigate to the location of the ptp_mpich2_proxy.py program from step #3. Choose it.

5. In the "Local address for proxy connection" box, choose the IP address or hostname of your windows machine. The proxy on the remote machine will try to connect to this address. Alternatively, choose "Use port forwarding".

6. Start the resource manager.

Hope this helps.

Greg