Re: [ptp-dev] About sdm and mpi jobs

Hi,

Integration with resource mangers is something we're working on right now, but is not currently available in PTP. At the moment, you have to do the allocation request manually before you launch the job (possibly even before you launch Eclipse if environment variables are used.)

In any case, the allocation you need to make for debugging an MPI job with the SDM will depend on your resource management system. The SDM itself requires an allocation of n+1 processes (where n is the number of processes in the job being debugged). It will then fork/exec n copies of gdb (one per process being debugged) and n copies of the program being debugged. If your resource manager somehow manages the allocation of forked processes, you may potentially need to request an allocation of 3n+1 processes to debug the job. The usual way to deal with this would be to provide a debug or interactive queue that these types of jobs can be submitted to.

Threading support has been in gdb for a while, but I'm not sure if it was available before version 6. Also, it depends on threading support being available on your machine architecture and operating system. What version of gdb to do you have (gdb -v), and what type of system is it?

Regards,

Greg