Re: [platform-dev] backporting and building?

Hi Tony,

> I hadn’t tried just replacing org.apache.ant 1.10.7 with 1.10.8 in the
> product after the build was complete.
> I guess that approach should work, is that what you mean?

Yes that's essentially what I mean. There are different options you could check:

1) You product does not really need ant but pull it in as a transitive dependency -> you can simply delete the ant.jar after the build 2) Your product does not need ant, but some module reference it for code you never run -> you can delete the ant.jar and patch the manifest of the requiring bundle to have only optional dependency to ant 3) Ant is an essential part of your product -> you could replace the ant.jar, patch manifest headers of references

All this will happen AFTER the actual build process is done.

Beside this you should make some kind of risk-analysis if your product is really affected by this vulnerability. The CVE describes a (in my opinion) relative hypothetical scenario:

1) You must run your app on a shared host with untrusted clients
2) All clients share the same temp-dir and have unlimied access to all files placed there 3) builds run on a regular basis and the kind of builds allows an attacker to actually inject usable code-parts

IMO the easiest way if someone suspects this as a valid attac-vector (independent of ant or whatever tooling) is to configure default temp directories to reside in a user-protected area. The same is true for (possible) any shared area e.g. maven repository cache and so on...