Re: [papyrus-rt-dev] First 0.9.0 bug (maybe)

Hi,

I would find also comfortable and it would improve user experience to be able to create a UML-RT state machine diagram on a capsule, with the implicit creation of the RT-state machine and all usual content (region/state/initial/initial trans). And at the same time, the ability to create a plain state machine diagram should be removed.

For the creation of a new sub-menu dedicated to UML-RT diagrams, I am not sure that it may be of interest. I would have rather imagine a "new view" menu, with all tables/UML diagram/UML-RT diagram/ Further customized UML-RT diagrams at the same place, and its content filtered based on the active viewpoint(s).
I could imagine that several viewpoints would exist for plain Papyrus-RT, at least 'basic' and 'advanced'. With basic, you would find only the new UML-RT child menu and only access to UML-RT customized diagram, advanced would had the new UML one, and access also to plain UML diagrams. So beginners would have a quite straight user experience, with less available menus, and experts would still have access to the full UML stack.
But I know we have been discussing of that UML-RT specific menus quite a lot in the past ;-)

Cheers,
Rémi

Regarding the UML-RT specific diagrams on the "New Diagram..." menu is apparently pretty confusing. I wrote bug 511187 to track some improvements in this area, specifically regarding the creation of state-machine diagrams. The existence of the possibility of creating UML-RT specific diagrams on the "New Diagram..." menu have never been intentional (if it ever have been possible). We for example removed the possibility of creating these diagram types in the new model wizard, since it does not make sense to create a "stand alone" capsule structure diagram, or state-machine diagram, without a capsule or state-machine. See for example the discussion in bug 475805. The creation of these diagrams have always been intended to be made automatically when creating the capsule or the state-machine. But apparently this seem to be confusing.

So if users expect the possibility of being able to create the diagrams directly, then we probably should extend bug 511187 to also cover the creation of capsule structure diagrams. But the behavior then should of course be to create the capsule (at the location where the user selects to create the diagram) and then as usual let the creation of the capsule create its owned/nested capsule structure diagrams. We should probably also think through whether we shall have a specific, "New UML-RT Diagram..." menu, similar to the specific "New UML-RT Child..." menu, to make it clear where you find the standard UML stuff, vs. the UML-RT specific stuff.

Some more comments inline below.