[open-regulatory-compliance] Clarification on the WG practicalities

Hello everybody,

Also from my side, I would like to thank the Eclipse foundation for their activity to act as the convener to bring the larger open source community together. Eclipse has done some outstanding work on the charter proposal! I think that organizing the community, which means all of us, to address the CRA is key for both the viability of the open source development model and the success of the CRA itself.

For this very reason, I find that getting the WG set up to the right direction is key. In my mind, there are some questions that I have both on setting the target of the WG, and the practicalities of the work in the WG. Let me try to address some of the key points:

  1. Scope and charter: I think there are key questions that the WG should answer. One among of the many questions is the role of the steward. Thought, I believe that the charter proposal addresses many of the key points the definition of the steward should be in the work list.
  2. Bringing the community together: I think the important point is that we can get the community together and we work together towards a common goal.
  3. Participation to the WG: I don’t quite understand the cost structure now. For instance, Nokia is a member of Eclipse. Do we have to invest also to a membership of this WG to be able to participate? What about non-corporate, non-steward identified, or non-governmental entities and individuals?

Of course, a FAQ from Eclipse can answer the practical and Eclipse related questions. However, I’m a bit worried that we are not being fair to Eclipse by leaving Eclipse alone with working on the charter. I’m concerned that a hub-and-spoke model may have scalability issues going forward. I wonder if a practical working session would be needed to identify and iron out the outstanding questions remining in the charter.

Regards,

Jonne.

--

Jonne Soininen