Re: [open-regulatory-compliance] [EXTERNAL] Clarification on the WG practicalities
  • From: Stephen Walli <Stephen.Walli@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 May 2024 16:44:58 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Arc-authentication-results: i=1; mx.microsoft.com 1; spf=pass smtp.mailfrom=microsoft.com; dmarc=pass action=none header.from=microsoft.com; dkim=pass header.d=microsoft.com; arc=none
  • Arc-message-signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=microsoft.com; s=arcselector9901; h=From:Date:Subject:Message-ID:Content-Type:MIME-Version:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-ChunkCount:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-0:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-1; bh=cJQCqgZWbgTuIn62tY10K2FJwoCpPGU7UYSzSyZOvYo=; b=DmDKX4N0K6rCT3CB7qP+c2EEjBqMwZWhvVFhCnJYB2ERgyMSyMAxQsPeL46UwliXfVlxZ0aqcrt8Qaz5HDWdZWqqpY4kBiDX3kOX514ch9nL69rdRX0fWWiSrlyVB3P1sJes8wWxz+fuIIctxZqOVHrHx2iVjUqjOOfyyRwGO1SG7rGgsHrRrpRUa2Bc2BLRmj4Fiwyga1I+RYyAY35u1WfWSbHeYxcgn0fgkA9ETrEfaq6JL+9dzIntp5EumpcpUbeG6P3nXXZfuY1m+wJelopKPag8uUN4972DjPuLFXz9IAH7qE7s81kUgIlXnstrnwQFfpFf5d/Pxy6ShMj/BQ==
  • Arc-seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; s=arcselector9901; d=microsoft.com; cv=none; b=RYduL2RpZG6IcEoc0scnJLcDDohpXsClQK4Fo9ipiQs+4lliFLTRmBiQYT1bvWdwPJQsXnrRRzHCGaxLyT8dURLiSIIAo84Ji7B/SxVlEO7qrPmeDet0vy4BuRAHwDveg1MMGaXpNI7j43AvNI7jAegI0vLYNySnmuURziDRFZRSvg+CcN+olOsrRfHF8ZRpo/DLWJPO8mNFCmq+NPqZleMy8W3EXh6li3DSDXltk9QtJmGm17tEf1EgisyfSJgRcOcQV/o1MqoQ+jOPAhlPww+Fh4iCMdeXi1AScgjbIVSHxQwUqprmVy3Re5czNfrfN6QFDEoEpguQ9oqn56bBLA==

All: I’d like to echo the thanks to the Eclipse Foundation for all its work this past almost two years as the EU CRA discussion has evolved in Europe, and for acting as convener in the current discussions. As I have read through everyone’s questions and commentary, I would like to offer a few observations from the following perspectives:
  • I’m the Microsoft strategic member to the Eclipse Foundation Board since July ‘21.
  • I’m the Steering Committee chair for the Eclipse Software Defined Vehicle Working Group since March ‘22
  • I support several product teams at Microsoft in their engagements with other Eclipse WGs (e.g., Jakarta EE, Adoption, Dataspace), as well as several Eclipse projects (Eclipse ThreadX, Eclipse Dataspace Connector, Eclipse Symphony).
  • I sit on several Linux Foundation directed fund governing boards and committees and am the alternate Microsoft board member to the Linux Foundation, so I have a broader perspective on how things are done in other nonprofit spaces, not just the Eclipse Foundation.

The structure of the Open Regulatory Compliance WG charter follows all Eclipse working group charters. The scope is where the work is described, but the rest of the charter involves few choices and for the most part points to the structured polices and processes used successfully by developers across Eclipse projects and members partnering across Eclipse WGs. From a personal perspective, I like the current scope because it gives us enough flexibility to adjust to EU and ESO discussions over the coming months, and as we evolve the work together as partners, to tackle the next European regulatory challenges without needing to stand up additional WGs and the expense and work that entails.

A WG is run by its steering committee (SC). The essential work of the SC is to put together the program plan (i.e., the plan of work that meets the scope) and submit it to Eclipse staff, who in turn build a budget for the program plan based on in-bound membership dues. The SC approves the budget, then in regular meetings the SC members work to plan, tuning the plan as necessary. A working group needs a staff program manager to keep all the plates spinning and other staff can be hired to meet the needs of the plan. This of course depends on membership revenue and what the SC members want to accomplish. But the overarching idea for the SC members is that it is about the high order fiscal health of the WG.
  • This is why the voting structure in the SC looks the way it does — it is ensuring that the companies paying the bills have a proportional vote. Indeed, the Eclipse Foundation method of scaling dues in a voting class allows a more balanced diversity of voices.
  • This means that while everyone is participating in the technical work of specifications projects easily, the decisions on how costly education programs and materials or outreach activities gets discussed and budgeted as part of the program plan in the SC.
  • Individual WG dues are scaled to the work in front of the members. Membership in the Eclipse Foundation supports the mission of the Eclipse Foundation and its projects (which is why software projects are free). The commitment to working in the Eclipse Board is substantial (a week per year plus prep time) ensuring the health of the organization to deliver on that mission. WGs are separately funded by members partnering together around specific collaborations, concerns, and work.

The technical outputs for this WG happens in specifications projects. I worry that this is where some of the charter and policy docs assume too much familiarity when we have a lot of new people in the discussion. For example:
  • A WG group expresses nonexclusive support for open source licensed Eclipse software projects, but specifications projects are tied directly to a WG.
  • The ORC WG supports the work happening in specifications projects, so a great FAQ explanation for everyone might be to clarify who gets to do work in a specification project, and then how will votes to ratify that work be counted.
  • Some of the structure around individual members versus organizational members is designed to track provenance and protect individual contributors.  A better FAQ discussion might help here.
  • The documented rigor in the Eclipse Specification Process, tied to TDKs, should delight ESO like CEN/CENELEC but in our case where we are looking more to process related specifications, it might be helpful if we had pointers to examples that dont include TDKs so we could better understand how to think about some of the work ahead.

I hope this has acted as a bit of a decoder ring and might inform the larger discussions and FAQ. I’m happy to get on a call with anybody in this discussion to talk about Microsoft participation in the EF, and our additional commitments in WGs, as well as the experience working under the Eclipse Foundation umbrella. Please don’t hesitate to ask.  kind regards, always stephe

--

+1 425 785 6102 (he/him)

Thursday Morning Coffee” on Standards & Open Source

N.B. My working day may not be your working day! Please don’t feel obliged to read or reply to this e-mail outside of your normal working hours.