[open-regulatory-compliance] Overall charter / representation of Stewards

Hi folks,

Reviewing the current participation agreement and charter, we have some concerns about the overall direction.

In the earlier part of the CRA process, the EU Commission had expressed concerns regarding feedback from multiple conflicting points of view in the open source community. The OpenSSF's goal was to join this coalition to provide a unified voice across stewards/foundations/non-profits to the EU government to ensure the CRA supports the interests of our community.

The current approach caps the decision-making power of all Stewards to three votes in the steering committee while offering an uncapped number of votes for a paid membership.

This model does not meet our requirements regarding consensus building across the Stewards, as it inherently weighs decisions more heavily in favor of for-profit organizations.

We want to build consensus across our peer Stewards to serve our community's needs. To address this, I propose we either:
  1. Split into two groups, one representing paid membership and one representing Stewards.
  2. Provide each Steward with one vote in the steering committee.
Our goal is to represent the security interests of the open source community; please let me know what the best path is.

--
Omkhar Arasaratnam
General Manager

Back to the top