Re: [omr-dev] our coding standard

I too am in favor of increasing line wrapping limit (for WebKit) as vertical screen real estate is more precious to me than horizontal. The tabs vs. spaces issue is indeed philosophical as most of us use IDEs or editors that automatically transform one into the other so it really is a moot point in the end. Unfortunately none of the sample repositories use tabs so its hard to sway one way or the other. Do we know how clang-format handles indentation when tabs are specified? Will it be a mix of tabs (for indentation) and spaces (for alignment)?

- Filip

From:        Charlie Gracie <charlie.gracie@xxxxxxxxx>
To:        omr developer discussions <omr-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:        09/07/2016 10:11 AM
Subject:        Re: [omr-dev] our coding standard
Sent by:        omr-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

Sorry about joining the conversation a little late.

I really like the idea of having a tool auto-format the code so no one has to worry about that during reviews.  I think it will be a great move forward for the project, especially if it reduces our coding standard to a statement which says run the tool.

Matthew thank you for taking the time to put together all of the branches showing the different versions we may want to choose from.

After spending a few hours digging through different files for each format I feel the most comfortable with WebKit.  The two things I am not sure about are the use of spaces instead of tabs and the short column width before wrapping. The line wrapping just feels like a waste of vertical space.  I would be much happier with WebKit if we turned that off.

The lines vs tabs seems more like a philosophical discussion. Does anyone have any technical reasons why one is preferred over the other?

Charlie