Re: [omr-dev] our coding standard

On 09/02/2016 02:36 AM, Daniel Heidinga wrote:
The lines are unnecessary short. Most people have large monitors, no need to wrap lines.

This has been said at least twice now by various people.

I found the shorter lines significantly improved my ability to read / ingest the code.  I have plenty of horizontal screen real estate, however my working visual memory isn't great, and for whatever reason, long lines tax it more heavily than multiple short ones.

I also get the intuitive sense that it makes diffs easier to parse, but have no strong evidence for this.

Now, I'm happy to cede this point if it maximises our collective utility to do otherwise, but I seek to have us to make that decision with a reasonably complete appreciation of the consequences.

Luc

Back to the top