Re: [mdt-papyrus.dev] Re: About the last version of the Sphinx proposal

Raphael,

Thanks for contributing to the discussion, and providing such insightful context. I agree that the characterization of Papyrus in the Sphinx proposal can (and should) be improved to more accurately reflect the project's intent and its (future) relationship to Sphinx. I was hoping that would happen before the proposal was posted, but it's not too late to do so now.

I see both Papyrus and Sphinx working towards a similar goal, i.e., to gather the various modeling technologies at Eclipse into a cohesive, consumable whole. But each is taking a different approach, in my mind - Papyrus is from a top-down perspective (i.e., end-user consumable tool) whereas Sphinx is from a bottom-up perspective (i.e., common building blocks).

At the outset (as became apparent at the Summit), there is, naturally, some overlap between the two; indeed, I think it remains to be seen where exactly the dividing line will eventually end up, i.e., where Sphinx ends and Papyrus begins within a tooling stack. Ultimately, however, I still see Papyrus as an (the) fully integrated modeling environment (e.g., the "JDT" of modeling, if you will) whereas I see Sphinx as a possible (future) foundation on which to base it (e.g., the "workbench" of modeling).

As co-leads of this proposed new project, I trust that Sebastien and Stephan can work together to come up with wording that is acceptable to all parties involved. Of course, I am willing to help in any way that I can. Personally, I'm less worried about the words (since talk is cheap) and more about taking the necessary steps to ensure that these efforts are suitably aligned, to the benefit the modeling community at large.

Cheers,

Kenn