Re: [technology-pmc] Minutes for July 23, 2014 Meeting

On 27/07/14 17:15, david.w.smiley@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

On Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 2:22 PM, Wayne Beaton <wayne@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
This is why, for example, we can have code in GitHub repositories (which the Webmaster mirrors on Eclipse Foundation servers), but cannot use GitHub Issues (because we currently do not have a solution for mirroring the issues).

Woah.  Does that also mean that projects on GitHub (like Spatial4j) should not use GitHub issues to track features, bugs, etc?

Hi David,

The short answer is yes.

For completeness, I'll explain a bit further. Syncing back to Foundation hardware is important so we don't depend on a particular (& esp. proprietary) company.

For code, because of git, this syncing (between Github & LocationTech.org for example) is generally straight forward. We have also have hooks to check for CLA's being in place from contributors which took a little work, but was implemented.

The thinking early on was to do the same for bugs & wiki content as well. Unfortunately at least at present time, there's no good open source mechanism for doing so. There are some proprietary solutions, however the Eclipse Foundation has a strict policy of vendor neutrality which prevents using them. My sense is it's going to be a bit before there's an update for this content.

It may not be all bad. The same Eclipse/LocationTech account will provide access to the bug tracking system (bugzilla), the CI system (hudson) & the build farm, the code review system (gerrit), and other systems. They can talk to each other nicely to provide some elegant continuous integration. Also, bugs can be moved between LocationTech projects or span across them if/when needed. This is fairly useful.

Andrew

Back to the top