Re: [linuxtools-dev] Tmf: a model to support new trace analysis types

Hi Alex,

You bring up a good point here: views (more generally analysis outputs) and analysis really need to be separated. Analysis have outputs (like the state system files or statistics, or just an object on which more can be done) and views are just a convenient way to display it. With the Rcp, it would be useful to have simple text output, .dot files, etc. That's something each analysis module will know and document so that end users can generate them in the command line.

So yeah, basically TmfAnalysis would replace the TmfView as commander of the analysis squad, since it can live for fun, without views. Views are just a tmf ui concept.

Initially I proposed one extension point org.eclipse.linuxtools.tmf.core.analysis having attribute "provided views", but that should be really two extension points, as some quick prototyping clearly pointed out:

* one for the analysis itself, which logically goes in to tmf.core, describing the type and class of the analysis. * one for the views it provides, used by tmf.ui to populate the list of analysis and available TmfView (maybe all outputs in general?)

I hope to have a prototype for this feature by the end of the week and start putting the execution graph construction into this framework.

Cheers,
Geneviève