Re: [linuxtools-dev] Tmf: a model to support new trace analysis types

On 13-07-15 04:33 PM, Geneviève Bastien wrote:
> Hi Alex,
>
> Thanks for your feedback.
>
> Just to be clear: experiment types and this analysis types model are
> two different things.
>  * Experiment types[1] are an extension of the experiment to allow the
> user to define 'roles' for the traces composing it.  Traces can then
> be treated differently according to their role in the analyses.
>  * By analysis, I mean action requiring trace processing and having
> some kind of output.  They may apply to traces (ex. computation of
> execution graph), experiments (ex. trace synchronization) or
> experiment types (ex. Virtual machine-host analyses like described by
> Mohamad last week).

Ok, so something like a View then? Right now with TMF being a graphical
tool, everything is centered around views. You're not gonna built a
custom state system or custom statistics provider for fun, you build it
to ultimately populate a view.

So your notion of analysis could "replace" the view, right? Something
like "for this analysis, you need to build this state system. And then
populate this view". Or print the results to text. With TMF now also
available in RCP form, this is a new possibility.

I was wondering why we would want to introduce a new "TmfAnalysis"
concept in addition to what is already there (in the trace type and the
view). But if it's to replace the view as the end result, and abstract
away where the output can go, then that could make more sense.

Lunch time here, I'll catch up on the rest later ;)

Cheers,
Alex

Back to the top