Re: [linuxtools-dev] System-installed dependencies

Hi,

> How do you foresee eclipse-build handling the bundling of external jars?

I haven't really thought about this but I doubt we'll remove the Orbit
JARs in the short term.

> I know absolutely nothing about OSGI but I have the impression that I large
> amount of the time it is actually downstream that adds the osgi manifest info
> into the dependencies.  The situation I'm concerned about is that 2 projects
> will both depend on package/jar "A" but will have 2 incompatible manifest
> files.  This will mean that we are having to duplicate packages.....

The OSGi metadata shouldn't cause incompatibilities.

> Currently gentoo is inserting the manifest info into eclipse-3.4's
> dependencies but this is a real pain and make packaging eclipse far harder
> than it needs to be.

We do the this in Fedora and I believe Debian (and maybe Ubuntu)
are doing the same thing.  Have you seen Matt Whitlock's work?  I think
it may help you.

> I (and possibly Matt, hint hint) should also look at how you have separated
> eclipse into its "modules".  it would really be nice to have equinox, etc as
> separate packages.  Do you do this "post-build" or does linux-build handle
> this?  seems like your todo-list suggests you currently do it post-build.

Yes, it's currently done after the build but it's being worked on to be
done as one of the ant tasks.

> Overall how do you envision the final packaging solution to look like?

I don't know what you mean here :)

Andrew

Back to the top