Re: [linuxtools-dev] System-installed dependencies

Because the external JARs are maintained by other Gentoo developers, and I can't feasibly modify those ebuilds, and convincing all of those maintainers to add OSGi metadata to the JARs that their builds produce would be a major PITA, not to mention everyone would have to rebuild all those ebuilds just to add a little piece of metadata to each.  External bundle-classpath entries are claimed to be an alternative (I read it somewhere in the Eclipse documentation).

Until and unless we can succeed in unbundling these JARs, Eclipse is not going to be accepted into the main Gentoo Portage tree, and that's ultimately my goal.  (I'm sick of wasting tens of hours trying to hack the Eclipse build into being built-from-source friendly.)