AW: [jdt-ui-dev] org.eclipse.ui.actionSets

The whole actual refactoring inplementations seem to be heavily
structured/ordered amoung the different UI package hierarchies (internal and
noninternal).

For the upcoming Eclipse 2.2 version with it's promised enhanced refactoring
API, it would be great to have some easier custom refactoring enhancement
build up capabilities. One thing I believe many people would have a big
demand for is, to also include a sort of "setup refactoring sample plugin"
project to the project wizard, which would offer to generate an example
refactoring plugin project. Such a generated sample refactoring project,
might be then a good starting point for custom enhancements. Here the
generated sample refactoring project could be a base skeleton or a whole
simple to follow refactoring sample. - BTW, it would be nice, if it would
also be possible to offer a way to easily reuse the current text selection
provider and the UI text input dialogs for such custom refactoring plugins.

Valentino

> Sven,
>
> the action set code lives in the workbench in  packages
> org.eclipse.ui.internal and
> org.eclipse.ui.internal.registry. As the names indicate both are non API
> packages
> so using them might not be a good idea. To "prove" the
> extensibility of the
> refactoring
> I would start with two different extensions, one for the refactoring and
> one for the
> action itself.
>
> Dirk
>

>              "Sven Van Sighem"
>
>              <sven_at_work@adv
>
>              alvas.be>
>              Sent by:                  <jdt-ui-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>              jdt-ui-dev-admin@
>       cc
>              eclipse.org
>

>  Subject
>                                        [jdt-ui-dev]
>
>              02/27/2003 01:50          org.eclipse.ui.actionSets
>
>              PM
>

>              Please respond to
>
>              jdt-ui-dev@eclips
>
>                    e.org
>

> Hello,
>
> For my thesis I am attempting to refactor the refactoring engine so as to
> enable the adding of refactorings as a plugin, as described in the 2.2
> draft.
> The results of this refactoring will of course be posted via this group.
> Hopefully
> it will be of use for the final implementation.
>
> At the moment the refactorings are already defined as
> org.eclipse.ui.actionSets.
> This functionality needs to be maintained, but it is undesirable
> to have to
>
> define a refactoring action both as an actionSet and as the new extension.
> Therefore I will need to incorporate the actionSet behaviour in the new
> extension point.
>
> The problem is that I cannot find the code where the actionSets are
> processed.
> Can anyone point me to it?
>
> Sven Van Sighem.
> (See attached file: winmail.dat)