[jdt-debug-dev] JSR 45 status and plugin/debugger documentation

Hi,

I am the main author of a language that compiles to java bytecodes.
Somebody started an eclipse plugin for the language. We are now
investigating debugging support under different tools.

Our compiler puts SourceDebugExtension information in the classfiles it
generates, as specified in JSR 45. I tested it with jdb, and it is
working fine. I saw references saying that JSR 45 was now implemented by
the eclipse debugger. I have upgraded to 3.0 (build id 200310101454).
There is no special support for debugging by our plugin, but I could
configure a debugging session for Nice code (using the Debug... menu
entry, and setting classpath and sourcepath). I can run the program
under the debugger, and it stops automatically when entering the main
function. However, it does not find the source file for main, although
it is specified by the SourceDebugExtension attribute. I checked the
sourcepath.

Here are my questions:

1) Is this supposed to be working currently? Any idea why it is not, or
how to investigate?

2) More generally, about using the debugger for other languages than
Java. I see it is a goal for 3.0, and that's great! Is there
documentation about how to build a plugin that interracts with the
debugger? Are there good working examples with source available?

Thanks for your answers.

Daniel

Back to the top