[jdt-debug-dev] Required plug-ins

This might be a dumb question, but can someone remind me why the list of
"required plugins" in our plugins doesn't match the plugins listed in the
.classpath file of our projects? For example, org.eclipse.jdt.debug lists
  org.eclipse.core.resources
  org.eclipse.debug.core
  org.eclipse.jdt.core
as "required plugins" in the plugin.xml file, but in the .classpath, it