Re: [jdt-core-dev] Code completion for annotations values

Hi Max,

I am familiar with JavaCompletionProposalComputer.  I understand this is the current basis for completion extension, but I am more asking about specific functionality to assist with annotation value completion.  With the completion of bug 110188, it is now possible to complete inside of a string literal, but this is only a first step in providing completion inside an annotation value.

What I am trying to determine now is whether additional support is going to be added to the core/ui/apt to facilitate annotation completion, or whether we would need to roll our own solution, which wouldn't appear to be very straight forward.

As for the Hibernate Tools, unfortunately I can't look at your implementation due to licensing.  I did download your latest plugins to try this functionality out, but it seems the code completion is just a static list of choices, which doesn't meet our needs of having a context based list of choices (such as the table/column completion you have in XML).  Maybe I am doing something wrong here?  I seem to get a big list of function names.

Neil

Max Rydahl Andersen wrote:
Hi Neil,

It is already in there in Eclipse 3.2 as I told you at EclipseWorld :)

org.eclipse.jdt.ui.javaCompletionProposalComputer

See Hibernate Tools plugins for an example of how it can be used for
code completion in annotation's.

I'm still though looking for efficient code to get more context
about the position code completion is invoked...

/max

Greetings,

The WTP-JPA project needs to provide in-source annotation value  completion as a part of our feature set, and from looking at JDT  documentation, it seems this topic has been accounted for in previous  planning.  In the JDT Core R3.2 plan* there was a bullet item under  'Code Assist' for "Completion in annotation member pair value".  Also,  under 'Java SE 6', there is text referring to "pluggable API for  participating in compilation and completion" under 'Annotation  processing tools'. I am inquiring as to the status of this general  functionality, as it seems that some work has been done to facilitate  this in the core, but there does not seem to be anything for a client,  such as us, to consume at this point.  Any insight into the status of  these plans or future plans regarding implementation of this support  would be extremely helpful. Thank you,

Neil Hauge
WTP-JPA Lead

* - http://www.eclipse.org/jdt/core/r3.2/index.php