Re: [jaxrs-dev] Use of "Jakarta REST" on Jakarta EE tutorial

There is no legal issue with refering to "JAX-RS" at all, as it is not an Oracle trademark, and I do have explicit written permission by Oracle to continue using this acronym. If there are other restrictions, then these are completely controlled by some EF-internal committee (not us, not Oracle), so you should ask *those* people that control *those* documents you like to actually change. We here at JAX-RS can just guess, as we have no control on the files you like to change. The JAX-RS tutorial is not an official document of *us*.

-Markus

Von: jaxrs-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:jaxrs-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] Im Auftrag von Christian Kaltepoth
Gesendet: Sonntag, 15. September 2019 11:46
An: jaxrs developer discussions
Betreff: Re: [jaxrs-dev] Use of "Jakarta REST" on Jakarta EE tutorial

My understanding of the guidelines is that it is fine to use JAX-RS *if* the document clarifies if you are referring to JCP JAX-RS or Jakarta JAX-RS.

Am So., 15. Sept. 2019 um 11:35 Uhr schrieb Guillermo González de Agüero <z06.guillermo@xxxxxxxxx>:

Hi,

From https://jakarta.ee/legal/acronym_guidelines/ I understand the original acronyms can't be used in official Jakarta EE material. You can informally refer to Jakarta RESTful Web Services as "JAX-RS" but can't use that therm in official documents (like the tutorial) if it's not referring to the JCP JAX-RS.

AFAIK, the main reason the tutorial is not already published in jakarta.ee is because it needed to remove all the Java EE and references. If that's the case, JAX-RS couldn't be used and so Jakarta REST (if approved as an acceptable name by the comitters) or Jakarta RESTful Web Services would be the options.

I'm adding Bill Shannon to the conversation to let him clarify it.

Regards,

Guillermo González de Agüero