Re: [iot-pmc] PMC Approval required for Committer Election for Ian Craggs on Sparkplug

Hi Kai.

Eclipse specifications require that at least one open source compatible implementation exists. In the case of Sparkplug, that implementation is the Eclipse Tahu project. The Sparkplug specification project and Tahu have each their own set of committers and are managed independently.

The scope for Sparkplug specification project is the specification document itself (in ASCIIDOC) as well as the Sparkplug technology compatibility kit (TCK). The TCK will be used to validate compatible implementations, like the Jakarta EE TCK is used to certify Java app servers. The Sparkplug specification team will soon start writing the TCK.

Since Ian has experience writing such TCKs for normative specifications, his advice will be invaluable to the Sparkplug specification project team. In this context, his contributions to other open source initiatives and his deep knowledge of MQTT, on which Sparkplug is overlaid, completely justify his nomination as a Sparkplug specification project committer. That said, the situation is different for Eclipse Tahu; I expect Ian will have to build a history of contributions over there.

Best Regards,

Frédéric DESBIENS

Program Manager, IoT and Edge Computing | Eclipse Foundation, Inc.

Twitter: @BlueberryCoder

On Thu, 10 Dec 2020 at 03:55, Hudalla Kai (IOC/PAP-HU) <Kai.Hudalla@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 09.12.20 15:16, Frédéric Desbiens wrote:
> Hi Ian.
>
> Working group membership is not required to make contributions to the
> Sparkplug specification project or even to become a committer on it.
>
> Currently, the Sparkplug WG charter does not include the concept of a
> committer member; however, this is something the steering committee
> could add to accommodate cases like yours. I wonder if this is something
> that working groups should add automatically when they add
> specifications to their scope.
>
> Wayne: I think there is some confusion here about specification
> projects, specification committees and working groups. Do you think we
> should hop on a call with Ian Skerrett and Ian Craggs to understand what
> they are looking for and suggest a way forward?

Indeed, I am a bit lost here. I do not know in which the context the
Sparkplug specification is being created, i.e. if that happens inside of
the "project" or the "working group".

My understanding of the project so far was, that it included the initial
version of the Sparkplug "specificaiton" but also provides an
implementation based on specific brokers and clients.

If that is the case, I would expect to see some contributions to the
project before granting committer status on the project.

icraggs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

jreimann@xxxxxxxxxx

https://de.redhat.com/
>>         <https://eur03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url="">>
>>         Registered seat: Grasbrunn, Commercial register: Amtsgericht
>>         Muenchen, HRB 153243,
>>         Managing Directors: Charles Cachera, Brian Klemm, Laurie
>>         Krebs, Michael O'Neill
>>

>>     --
>>     The Eclipse Management Organization
>>     Eclipse Foundation

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards

Kai Hudalla

Software Developer - Bosch IoT Hub

Bosch.IO GmbH
Ullsteinstr. 128
12109 Berlin
GERMANY
www.bosch.io

Registered Office: Berlin, Registration Court: Amtsgericht
Charlottenburg; HRB 148411 B
Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Dr.-Ing. Thorsten Lücke;
Managing Directors: Dr. Stefan Ferber, Dr. Aleksandar Mitrovic, Yvonne
Reckling