Re: [iot-pmc] Using newer version of already approved works-with dependency

Probably something to take to the Architecture Council?

On Apr 16, 2018, at 11:05 AM, Jens Reimann <jreimann@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I wanted to follow up with this discussion as I just recently learned about this myself:

What I suggested seems to be already there: https://wiki.eclipse.org/Development_Resources/Contribution_Questionnaire#Third_Party_Libraries … At least this would be my interpretation.

However I do think that this piece of information is not really at a spot I would be looking for, so let's try to get that improved.

On Tue, Apr 10, 2018 at 10:52 AM, Roger Light <roger@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 10 April 2018 at 09:05, Jens Reimann <jreimann@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> But I would hope that it could be an acceptable risk for Type_A projects to
> approve e.g. "FooBar 1.2.x".

As a nearby example, I wouldn't want to take that risk for the CQ that
prompted this conversation (which I realise is workswith only). The
versioning has improved of late, but is a bit erratic and is rarely
completely backwards compatible even on a 1.1.x release. I wouldn't be
completely surprised to see new third party code using a different
license being introduced on a service release.

Cheers,

Roger

Jens Reimann
Senior Software Engineer / EMEA ENG Middleware
Werner-von-Siemens-Ring 14
85630 Grasbrunn
Germany
phone: +49 89 2050 71286