Re: [ice-dev] ICE Remote VisIt connection error

Hari,

Thanks for the help! Greg should have sent you one of the training accounts last night. Have you been able to use it to access Gordon? If so, can you tell us yet if this looks like the kind of simple problem that we can solve with configuring port forwarding, or is it so complex that we're unlikely to find a solution within the next day and should start preparing to fall back to local VisIt installations instead of using the remote machine?

Robert
From: ice-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx <ice-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of Harinarayan Krishnan <hkrishnan@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, July 13, 2016 9:14 PM
To: ice developer discussions
Subject: Re: [ice-dev] ICE Remote VisIt connection error

Hi Greg,

Yes. A tunnel is necessary if the remote machine does not grant access
to direct connections.

The most common error I see is that the firewall or something in the
connection rejects or throws an error or times out.

When VisIt gets launched on the remote side you can give it an
explicit port and password to start with.

Then one can connect to the remote machine over ip and port or create
a forward tunnel and connect. This is a little trickier because VisIt
also opens more ports usually between (5900 - 5910).

The VisIt Java client tries to hide all these combinations for you,
and not all combinations may have been tested as super computing
facilities like to through curveballs.

If you have access to NERSC, I can show you what the code should do
when connecting to a remote machine.

Unfortunately, I can't replicate on machines that I don't have access
to (like Gordon). I used to have access, but my account has probably
lapsed.

Best regards,
Hari