RE: [higgins-dev] With 7 people having voted so far...

Having 2 terms will be even more confusing as folks will reference one at times and then the other

Inactive hide details for "Drummond Reed" ---02/25/2008 01:48:11 AM---Tony, I’m curious about this. In an earlier post Mike sa"Drummond Reed" ---02/25/2008 01:48:11 AM---Tony, I’m curious about this. In an earlier post Mike said:

"Drummond Reed" <drummond.reed@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

"'Higgins (Trust Framework) Project developer discussions'" <higgins-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

<higgins-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx>

02/25/2008 01:48 AM

RE: [higgins-dev] With 7 people having voted so far...

Tony, I’m curious about this. In an earlier post Mike said:

“There will always be a potential for confusion between juridical entity and digital entity, or subject and digital subject, or principal and ... Its my opinion that we never "enter" juridical entities into our system, we create "out-of-band" associations between juridical and digital entities, that we can change at any time with no reflection in the system.”

I have found that it’s near impossible to fully describe digital identity systems without being able to explain that they provide digital representations of whatever-you-want-to-call-the-entity-being-represented. So from a practical perspective it really helps to have two different terms, even if they use modifiers (such as Mike’s “juridical entity” and “digital entity”).

The problem I find semantically with using modifiers on the same base term is: a) if you leave the modifier off, the term becomes ambiguous, and b) frequency of usage strongly favors single word terms.

So I agree with Paul that two different terms – ideally both single words – works best. Currently that’s “node” (for the digital representation) and “entity” (for the real-world principal). But if we switch, I still think we’ll be better off with two separate terms for the digital representation and the thing-being-represented.

=Drummond

Higgins (Trust Framework) Project developer discussions