Re: [emfcp-dev] From SVN to Git

Hi Eike,

>> ad 2) I not so sure about this one. It is a bridge plugin and it depends
>> on the point of view probably.
> I disagree. This plugin has dependencies that are neither in the Eclipse
> platform nor in ECP itself. Consequently it does not belong into ECP
> Core. The xmiworkspace does, though!
The same is true from the EMFStore point of view, the plugin has
dependencies on ECP then, that do not belong to EMFStore nor its target
platform...;)

> Again, architecturally EMFStore is higher up i the stack, it depends on
> ECP because it implements a provider for it. You certainly don't want to
> have circular dependencies between these two projects, their build
> systems, etc...
Most features of EMFStore (all but UI) do not depend on ECP, and
actually many users only use those features. On the other hand ECP does
not depend on EMFStore if a different storage provider is used. So it
depends on your use case, do you use ECP and maybe add EMFStore as a
storage backend, or do use EMFStore and maybe use the editors as a UI.

>> EMFStore could offer a plugin to
>> integrate with ECP
> Yes, just like with EMFStore's team provider integration.
>
>> or ECP contributes a plugin to integrate with
>> EMFStore.
> No, would you ask the Eclipse Team project to host your Team integration
> plugin?
Mylyn hosts the Git integration plugins (even in their namespace) for
example, but not the SVN integration plugins, so the distinction, does
not seem to be clear. It seems they host the integrations that they
(their committers) have supplied, but not integrations that are supplied
by third parties.

> Would you like to host all kinds of other people's integration plugins,
> like the ones for CDO?
If the people supplying these plugins are committers in the project,
then I would. Without storage providers ECP can not be properly used.
Maybe the distinction for the hosting of the plugins should be
organizational: who is going to maintain them? In our case I have no
strong opinion about where the plugins are being hosted, but about how
they are available to the user. That is on which update sites they
appear. And in case of EMFStore and ECP I think the integration plugin
should appear on both update sites and if you do not disagree I would
also like to see the CDO integration plugin on the ECP update site.

>>   On the other hand
>> we could still add the other providers to the update site of ECP. Anyway
>> I would like to make it as easy as possible for users to consume the
>> different storage providers.
> Wrong, you only make it easier for users to consume your specific
> EMFStore provider.
I would be happy to also add the CDO storage provider there, so people
actually have a choice.

Cheers,
Maximilian

> ----
> http://www.esc-net.de
> http://thegordian.blogspot.com
> http://twitter.com/eikestepper
>

>> Cheers,
>> Maximilian
>>
>> P.S.: The EMFStore repository setup is documented here:
>> http://wiki.eclipse.org/EMFStore_Git
>>

>> Am 19.08.2011 07:46, schrieb Eike Stepper:
>>> Hey Guys,
>>>
>>> I tried to checkout ECP from Git and faced several problems:
>>>
>>> 1) ECP (core!) seems to require a plugin from EMFStore:
>>> org.eclipse.emf.emfstore.common
>>> 2) The emfstorebridge plugin is part of ECP while it should be part of