Re: [emfcp-dev] From SVN to Git

Am 19.08.2011 11:33, schrieb Maximilian Koegel:
Hi Eike,

thanks for pointing out these problems.

ad 1) We know of this problem, but did not fix it yet;). Only the
EMFStore UI Feature depends on ECP but other plugins of EMFStore also
use the common plugin. Therefore currently the only solution seems to be
code duplication or maybe you have another idea?
As I said, why don't you move the classes that ECP needs into a new ECP util plugin and import/reexport this plugin in EMFStore. Whether the contained packages can be renamed must be decided separately.

ad 2) I not so sure about this one. It is a bridge plugin and it depends
on the point of view probably.
I disagree. This plugin has dependencies that are neither in the Eclipse platform nor in ECP itself. Consequently it does not belong into ECP Core. The xmiworkspace does, though!

Again, architecturally EMFStore is higher up i the stack, it depends on ECP because it implements a provider for it. You certainly don't want to have circular dependencies between these two projects, their build systems, etc...

EMFStore could offer a plugin to
integrate with ECP
Yes, just like with EMFStore's team provider integration.

or ECP contributes a plugin to integrate with
EMFStore.
No, would you ask the Eclipse Team project to host your Team integration plugin?

Would you like to host all kinds of other people's integration plugins, like the ones for CDO?

The XMIStorageProvider will be part of ECP, right?
Yes, it only depends on the Eclipse Platform.

IsnĀ“t it
nice to have all Storage Providers available in ECP?
Not at all!

  On the other hand
we could still add the other providers to the update site of ECP. Anyway
I would like to make it as easy as possible for users to consume the
different storage providers.
Wrong, you only make it easier for users to consume your specific EMFStore provider.

What are your thoughts on this?
On a p2 level I could imagine to compose p2 repositories in such a way. But that's a secondary question.

Cheers
/Eike

----
http://www.esc-net.de
http://thegordian.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/eikestepper

Cheers,
Maximilian

P.S.: The EMFStore repository setup is documented here:
http://wiki.eclipse.org/EMFStore_Git