Re: [che-dev] Che-Theia dogfooding on che.openshift.io

@Gennady Azarenkov you should look at https://github.com/eclipse/che/issues/15384 as well

On Thu, Jan 30, 2020 at 12:14 PM Gennady Azarenkov <gazarenk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Thu, Jan 30, 2020 at 12:25 PM Ilya Buziuk <ibuziuk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I do agree that there are storage issues that must be addressed but let's
not call them blockers for dogfooding.

Well, maybe it is a terminology issue.
I usually call blocking something preventing to reach the goal normally (workaround is the option to unblock).
IMO we have 2 things "like" this:
1. It is difficult to impossible to use ephemeral storage w/o syncing with something persistent b/c it probability of loose the changes is high (it is good for demo only)
2. It is difficult to impossible to use Gluster storage due to performance on massive write files operations and (which is more important for dogfooding) the issue with che-theia yarn build (which may or may not be a consequence of first).
Can we use hosted Che for dogfooding normally w/o addressing these issues?

If there are workarounds and developers use Hosted Che on a daily basis for
development we should encourage them to continue and address the
storage issues in parallel.

Definitely. Vitaliy's work is really appreciated and I had an opportunity to tell him that in person :) !

Another aspect is that the things he has done (using rsync) is VERY close to what we used for hosted version in codenvy.io
So, as the first option of addressing the storage issues could be trying to use this mechanism since it is workable and predictable.
WDYT?