Re: [che-dev] Building Images at WS creation Time

On Thu, Jul 11, 2019 at 4:19 PM <tmader@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, 2019-07-11 at 16:09 +0200, Sergii Kabashniuk wrote:

I've understood the fact that extensibility is important. However, it's still unclear to me why the build should happen on workspace creation time.

In the case of jdt.ls, let's say pivotal makes their sprint boot VS Code extension available as a Che 7 plugin, they need to run some osgi bundles inside vscode java. But the user can just enable a new plugin when he creates a workspace, so if we want to do stuff like native compilation, this is the first moment we have enough informatoin to do that.

In general, creation of the workpaces is when we know about all the software we're going to run in this workspace. This "whole world assumption" may enable us to do other optimizations similar to native compilation.
A couple more questions.
Is this optimization mandatory?
Can we avoid native compilation?
Is there a significant difference between native and non-native?
What is the average build time?

/Thomas