[che-dev] Che plugin version numbers for VS Code extensions

Hi folks,

not sure who would be interested in this, so blasting to the mailing list: I was thinking about what the correct version numbers to use would be when we have Che 7 plugins that reuse VS Code extensions: One thing we've done in the past is to use the version number of the VS Code plugin as the Che 7 plugin version. There are a couple of cases where this practice does not hold water:

1. When we use multiple VS Code extension in the same Che extension (as with Java, Java Debug)
2. When we need to update the Che 7 plugin, but not the VS Code extensions (think an updated sidecar image)
3. When we do not refer to a fixed version of a VS Code extensions (implicitly "latest".

Does anyone have strong thoughts about what the correct policy should be?

/Thomas

Back to the top