Re: [4diac-dev] Retiring the old FORTE C++ Exporter

On 28.05.20 21:57, Alois Zoitl wrote:
-- but I did encounter issues with the new workflow
using the merge tool, which is why I continue using the old exporter. My
build environment does a 3-way-merge on top of that, which means that mos.

I'm not sure if I understand that, because the new and old exporter use the same infrastructure and should use the same merge tool

Strange... It automatically popped up the diff tool when using the new exporter, but not when using the old exporter. I thought it had something to do with the exporter, maybe it was a user error?

I do appreciate the effort, however, and I think this is exactly the
right direction, it just needs to be a 3-way-merge (old unedited file
vs. new unedited file vs. old file with user-edits). Does the merging
plugin support that?

Would be hard if you don't have the old unedited file. Where should 4diac IDE get that from?
Furthermore the Eclipse merge tool which we are using currently only supports a two way merge. I don't know how to change this.

Well then this discussion is hypothetical for the time being, but this is how I imagine it: during 4days of 4diac I proposed to automatically export all modified FB types into a well-defined path inside the project tree, behind the scenes, each time a type was modified. If such a path were available, export could easily manage all three versions: the current plain export, the previous plain export, and the user-modified file.

That would also allow auto-merges, popping up the merge tool only when there are conflicts. Right now I emulate such behaviour using some CMake scripting and the diff/patch tools, which also works pretty well but is not part of the IDE experience.

Regards,
--
Dipl.-Inform. Jörg Walter
Senior Researcher

OFFIS e.V. - Institut für Informatik
FuE Bereich Produktion | R&D Division Manufacturing
Escherweg 2, 26121 Oldenburg - Germany
Phone/Fax.: +49 441 9722-729 / -282
E-Mail: joerg.walter@xxxxxxxx

Registergericht: Amtsgericht Oldenburg VR 1956
Vorstand: Prof. Dr.-Ing. Wolfgang H. Nebel (Vorsitzender),
    Prof. Dr. techn. Susanne Boll-Westermann, Prof. Dr.-Ing. Axel Hahn,
    Prof. Dr.-Ing. Andreas Hein, Prof. Dr. Sebastian Lehnhoff

Back to the top