[sdv-wg] Message from the machinery room

Dear SDV community,

After the announcement of the wish to set up a Open Source working group on Software Defined Vehicle (SDV) during the 2021 EclipseCon end of October last year, we saw a huge interest by the automotive industry in this topic. I have had dozens of individual 1:1 talks with interested parties and we have a significant number of subscribers to the SDV mailing list (~200) and the SDV Slack workspace. At our first “all hands meeting” in December we had nearly 100 participants.

It is a good time now to catch everyone up, so let me shortly explain the progress we’ve made and the challenges we face:

In the recent weeks we worked in two open workstreams on (a) the organizational structure of the upcoming working group, which finds its manifestation in the current version of the draft charter and (b) the definition of the scope of the working group.
The task of workstream (a) is mainly accomplished and we now are close to the “first release candidate” of the draft charter; workstream (b) is ongoing and will provide valuable input once the working group is formally instantiated.
You can follow and engage in the workstreams by joining the corresponding slack channel (#draft-charter, #draft-scope)

The current work results of these two workstreams will allow us, to officially announce/launch the working group in February. Around the same time we will make available the Working Group Participation Agreement (WGPA) and start to formally enroll member organizations to the working group.

Next to this progress we are facing currently the following challenges

  1. The lack of any elected representatives or committees who are empowered to make decisions on behalf of the community on technical or organisational topics. While discussions happening right now are valuable, it's not yet possible to turn results into formal decisions.

  2. The community, which will drive the Software Defined Vehicle initiative once the working group is established, is not yet instantiated. On the various  communication channels there are organisations with different levels of interests and ideas, ranging from “highly interested” to “fear of missing out”.
    Only after the working group is established and organisations made their decision to join the working group we will have a clear picture which organisations will drive the future of Software Defined Vehicles

Once the working group is instantiated the above challenges will be solved and I expect a fruitful collaboration of all participating member organizations to drive the topic of Software Defined Vehicle.

Any questions, comments or feedback are welcome.

Best regards

–Michael

Michael Plagge

Director Ecosystem Development | Eclipse Foundation Europe GmbH

M: +49 (0) 172 8688 326 | LinkedIn

Register for our virtual event: EclipseCon 2021 - October 25-28, 2021

Berliner Allee 47, 64295 Darmstadt - Germany

Handelsregister: Darmstadt HRB 92821

Managing Directors: Gaël Blondelle, Mike Milinkovich

Back to the top