[pde-dev] Property Files: Where to store if they should be hidden from the user?

Greetings.

In our plug-in development, we would like to maintain property files.  That
is, XML files that store the properties/preferences for a given plug-in.
In many cases, we want these files to be persistent to the user's
workspace, but not visible within any particular project.  Is there any
location under the workspace that is safe to store files created by the
plug-in?

Already, the Eclipse platform creates the .metadata folder.  However, I am
weary to use this folder, since it is controlled by some other entity and I
am not convinced artifacts I put in it will still be there tomorrow.
Perhaps we can create our own ".metadata2" folder in the workspace?  Can we
be certain this folder will not be clobbered by any internal Eclipse
mechanism?

Thank You,

Chad Barnes
Rockwell Collins, Inc.