Re: [omr-dev] our coding standard

I believe I see the most votes for WebKit as the format of choice.  I think there are some tweaks we may want to make but I think we should go forward with this approach.  I will open an Issue on GitHub to track the work.

Charlie

On Wed, Sep 7, 2016 at 6:05 PM, Xiaoli Liang <xsliang@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

My 2 cents...

I prefer LLVM as well. Other than reasons already stated by others earlier, I also like the fact that curly braces are placed more consistently with the LLVM style than WebKit, i.e. together with the previous line of code.

Thanks!

Xiaoli (Shelley) Liang
Java JIT Compiler Group
IBM Toronto Software Lab
Tel.: (905) 413-3989
Fax: (905) 413-4854
xsliang@xxxxxxxxxx

Inactive hide details for Mark Stoodley---09/07/2016 01:30:02 PM---Agree with all that, though I still (am losing with the :) )Mark Stoodley---09/07/2016 01:30:02 PM---Agree with all that, though I still (am losing with the :) ) vote for LLVM. I think

From: Mark Stoodley/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
To: omr developer discussions <omr-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 09/07/2016 01:30 PM

Subject: Re: [omr-dev] our coding standard
Sent by: omr-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

Agree with all that, though I still (am losing with the :) ) vote for LLVM. I think
having our own line wrap setting is an easy thing for us to adjust (slippery slope
to having our own format, but length of line is a pretty innocuous difference and
feels unlikely to hit some corner case bug in the tool).

The technical arguments will sound pretty obvious, I'm sure.

I suppose tab characters save some bytes when uncompressed, but I'm not sure anyone
is counting bytes in source files so carefully. I guess it's less typing for anyone
that actually hits the space bar multiple times. Your space bar might wear out less
often (though I confess it's never been a problem for me :) ).

Arguments against tabs would be scenarios where alignment requires less than a full
tab stop (whatever a tab stop means, which is exactly the problem). Even alignment
of comments becomes troublesome (I know, we shouldn't be trying to align anything :/).

Most viewers by default, including GitHub code review, will show 8 space tabs which
wastes lines for anyone who wants less than 8 spaces (I do). Alternatives exist
ranging from browser extensions to manual URL mangling: all somewhat dissatisfying.

There are probably other technical arguments on both sides, but I doubt any of them
will conclusively drive our entire community one way or the other.

I favour a consistent look and feel no matter whose computer I'm looking at. I do not
value the flexibility that tabs offer. I know I'm not alone; I know others disagree.

My vote remains: LLVM and spaces.

--mark