Re: [jakartaee-platform-dev] Simplifying the platform by merging some specs?

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 1, 2022 at 3:37 PM Mark Thomas <markt@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm not sure the converse is true, that wherever Jakarta Pages is used
Jakarta Standard Tags are used too.

I hear you, and there's probably places at least where Standard Tags are not used, for example if only scriptlets are used. Still, the question is whether that warrants it being a separate spec. E.g. would it have made sense to make the HTTP/2 support in Servlet (I'm just randomly thinking of something here) a separate spec, just because not everyone is using HTTP/2?

There's obviously a tradeoff here; a simpler overall platform, vs slimmer individual specs.

Some of the things I've been hearing with my consultancy hat on, trying to pitch Jakarta EE to engineers, is things like:

"Why does Jakarta need to have 3 security frameworks? Spring simply has Spring Security and that's it". Or "Why does Jakarta EE have two JSON frameworks, my favorite platform simply has JSON, and it works".

Kind regards,
Arjan

Back to the top