Re: [hono-dev] Upgrade to Java 11

On Thu, Oct 4, 2018 at 10:16 AM Hudalla Kai (INST/ECS4) <kai.hudalla@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, 2018-10-04 at 09:31 +0200, Jens Reimann wrote:
> Well I am a little bit torn apart. Yes, I would like to switch to Java 11 right
> away. Just because it is the newest one. then again we currently would have
> issues with the OpenShift S2I deployment as those images still have Java 8 on
> board. There is an issue for that [1], but I think it needs some more time.
>
> I think it is fine to switch to Java 11 as a runtime, but not at the compiler
> level. So we can't use all the cool stuff, right away, but we could switch back
> to JRE 8 as a runtime.

I am confused. Does this mean that you would be in favor of using OpenJDK 11 as
the runtime in our Docker images or not?

Me too :)

Java 11 as a runtime: yes. Using actual Java 11 features: no.

I think, for the moment, it should still be possible to run Hono on a Java 8 runtime.

> [1] https://github.com/fabric8io-images/s2i/issues/160

> > > Can you give an example of such a feature?
> >
> > Yes - I am thinking of the extension to the quite limited Optional class of
> > Java 8.
> > Beginning with Java 9 there are several extensions, especially the
> > ifPresentOrElse method I would like to use sometimes.
> >
> > Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards
> >
> >  Karsten Frank
> >
> > (INST/ECS4)
> > Bosch Software Innovations GmbH | Ullsteinstr. 128 | 12109 Berlin | GERMANY |
> > www.bosch-si.com
> > Sitz: Berlin, Registergericht: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg; HRB 148411 B
> > Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Dr.-Ing. Thorsten Lücke; Geschäftsführung: Dr.
> > Stefan Ferber, Michael Hahn

Jens Reimann
Senior Software Engineer / EMEA ENG Middleware
Werner-von-Siemens-Ring 14
85630 Grasbrunn
Germany
phone: +49 89 2050 71286

Red Hat GmbH, www.de.redhat.com,
Managing Directors: Paul Argiry, Charles Cachera, Michael Cunningham, Michael O'Neill

Back to the top