[4diac-dev] Introducing myself as a new committer

Hello 4diac community,

A few weeks ago I have been nominated and voted as a committer for the 4diac project. I would now like to introduce myself and the work I do on the 4diac project.

I am a research group manager at research institute OFFIS in Oldenburg, Germany. Our group "Distributed Computing and Communication" in the R&D division "Manufacturing" deals with hard- and software for embedded systems in manufacturing, including design methodology. As such, 4diac was an excellent vehicle for our research when we were introduced to it some six years ago.

Our expertise is both, in low-level HW/SW details and in high-level approaches for ensuring correctness of your automation applications while you are writing them. On the high level, we are focusing on Contract-Based Design, a methodology to continuously track and refine formal requirements for your applications. We could already convince Alois to add initial support for that to 4diac-ide (because I don't know anything about eclipse IDE coding :-) Based on that, we also research supplemental tools to re-use contract expressions for monitoring or testing, increasing the usefulness of that approach.

Our main contributions to the 4diac project are at the low level, however. I contribute bits and pieces to the 4diac FORTE runtime, and my main contribution is the new subproject 4diac-fbe, a build environment for reproducible and automated builds of the 4diac FORTE runtime. It was born out of our own needs to supply a known-working development environment to students regardless of their own laptop operating system, installed software, or specific versions of libraries and so on. We use it in all our 4diac-related experiments, including exotic configurations like Windows XP or FreeRTOS on a Xilinx Zynq processor. The baseline FBE is already published, the more exotic things will come over time.

In the future, I will stick to this, assisting with 4diac FORTE, especially when another opinion on architecture decisions and clean coding practices are wanted, and being the main contact for all issues in 4diac FBE. Please bear with me if it happens that my response time is long sometimes, work calendars are relentless :-)

Feel free to ask me anything you may want to know.

Regards,
--
Dr.-Ing. Jörg Walter
Gruppenleiter | Group Manager

OFFIS e.V. - Institut für Informatik
FuE Bereich Produktion | R&D Division Manufacturing
Escherweg 2, 26121 Oldenburg - Germany
Phone/Fax.: +49 441 9722-729 / -282
Mobile: +49 176 18811064
E-Mail: joerg.walter@xxxxxxxx

Registergericht: Amtsgericht Oldenburg VR 1956
Vorstand: Prof. Dr. Sebastian Lehnhoff (Vorsitzender),
    Prof. Dr. techn. Susanne Boll-Westermann,
    Prof. Dr.-Ing. Andreas Hein,
    Prof. Dr.-Ing. Astrid Nieße

Unsere Hinweise zum Datenschutz sind abrufbar unter:
https://www.offis.de/datentransparenz.html

Back to the top