Re: [xtext-dev] API

I'd rather use these annotations as JavaDoc tags, for the following reasons:

I chose Annotations so that we can leverage the Java tooling.
Things like "find references" list all the stable API, for instance.

1) The @deprecated JavaDoc tag allows us to tell developers what they are expected to do (like "use this and that other class / method)

Nothing prevents us from also using the JavaDoc tag.

2) If we later want to use the PDE API tooling or convince the PDE team to enhance the PDE API tooling to support our annotations, we should be compatible. As they are using JavaDoc tags, so should we.

Nothing prevents us from using PDE-based JavaDocs in addition.

3) If we introduce an annotation @org.eclipse.xtext.Stable, we have a tie-in to Xtext. We might want to use the same mechanism in Xpand, Xtend, etc. by using JavaDoc tags, we're more flexible.

Yes, it's Xtext-specific.
On the other hand it's three lines of code.

Sven

Back to the top