[wtp-releng] Here's the coolest thing I've done all year: change in committers server coming

As all committers know, our continuous builds are published to
http://download.eclipse.org/webtools/committers/

And, then once a week we move one to
http://download.eclipse.org/webtools/downloads/

This is actually a strain on the Eclipse Foundation infrastructure, since the 'download' servers are tuned to give out lots of data, but not receive (and replicate) lots of data.

So, it's been a long standing request for us to not upload to it continuously.

In a few days, we will not.

Instead, you can get our continuous builds directly from the build machine. See
http://build.eclipse.org/webtools/committers/

We will still promote a weekly build to the download server, where it can be mirrored, etc., but the daily builds should be easier or quicker for us committers to get, since we don't have to wait for replication, and the infrastructure won't be quite so overloaded replicating things it doesn't need to). This assumes of course, that we don't get thousands of download requests from the build machine, but we should not, for any reason I know.

So, thought I'd give this little bit of early notice, in case anyone has any scripts to adjust, or sees issues I'm not aware of.
I have a little tweaking to do, but the build server committers download area can be seen now at
http://build.eclipse.org/webtools/committers/
I'll leave a re-direction page in place when we actually stop uploading to 'committers' download server.

Thanks,

P.S. The year is young :)

Back to the top